Writing texts for a living – what does it look like?
Are you dreaming of starting your copywriter career, but you wonder what writing texts for a living looks like in practice? Let’s began our mini-tutorial that we have prepared specially for you!
What do you need to know before you start writing texts for a living?
Copywriter duties require both knowledge and experience.
Although the first one can be obtained along with the university degrees, though the second require us to know:
- language rules – not only grammar, but also punctuation and the writing style;
- SEO – it consists of activities such as adding headlines, creating meta-descriptions, providing internal linking, etc.;
- marketing techniques – that is language of benefits;
- legal issues – concerning arrangements, transfer of copyrights, tax settlements and many more.
Without such preparations, becoming a copywriter is extremely difficult. On the other hand, if you have already gained skills and necessary knowledge, it is high time to move on to practice.
What does writing the texts for money look like?
We are going to present the entire writing for a living process. Look through the simple steps we present below. Remember – those are not rules! Every copywriter has to create an individual model of cooperation with the client.
Nevertheless, these tips can be a starting point for you. Make sure to adapt them to your needs.
Step one – placing an order
At the beginning, you need to have clients so as to “win” their orders. For this purpose, visit Facebook groups, famous portals or set up your own website on which you are going to present your offer.
Step two – arrangements
You have already found a person who is interested in your services? Arrange the details of the project. In order to avoid conflicts, agree on:
- the text volume
- the deadline
- the wages for 1000 characters with spaces
- the settlement arrangement
- the transfer of the texts
Be sure to discuss when will you transfer the economic copyrights to the text (i.e. whether it takes place during the day of payment or immediately after you send the ordered content), as well as what is the exercise of personal copyrights in such case (is there a possibility of adding the text to your portfolio). Do you want to save some time? Make sure to provide a contract template that includes all information given above.
Remember that clarifying these issues is not an unnecessary formality, but a sign of professionalism. Transparent conditions are the basis of conflict-free cooperation.
Step three – order implementation
You were given the guidelines so far? Nothing is going to stop you, so start working! As you can see, copywriters starts carrying out their true duties here, that is they create content to get paid.
Step four – “shipment”
After you finish the implementation of an order, share the results of your work with the client. Send the text via email or publish the content directly on the website – it depends on arrangements mentioned above.
Step five – acceptation
There are two possibilities: either the client is satisfied and enjoy the effects of your work, or sends the texts back for you to make corrections. The first eventuality is just as simple as that. However, whenever the client does not approve the texts, you have to modify it in the places indicated by the customer and to send them back. You can proceed to the final stage providing that the customer is satisfied.
Step six – settlement
Are you done? Settle accounts with the client in accordance to the form of settlement you both chose. It can be invoice (for example when the business is set and portals used offer such solutions), a contract of mandate or a work contract.
The optimal choice vary on the individual tax interpretation, the ordered texts and their specification.
- Writing texts for a living consists of several actions. Content creation is not the only one! The cooperation between parties includes providing guidelines, agreeing on legal issues, and settling accounts.
- In fact, there are a few stages, but do not worry – in practice these are logical as every piece of action determine the next one, which is why issues described above are quite obvious for everyone.
- Nevertheless, we hope our above article has shed some light on how to write texts for a living. It is high time for you to start practising!
Your comment has been added and is awaiting approval.
Leave a Reply